Product transition from development to operations

All Product Managers work for people actually using their products for their benefit. Somehow, PMs don’t talk much about products’ transition from development to operations.
I am researching what happens during the Transition, what challenges and pains PM experience during this stage, from as diverse perspectives as possible.
Would you help me with the data?

Hey Sergey! Thank you for this question.

I believe the transition you are mentioning often is not responsible for the PMs. It depends on the product team structure.

From my experience in the company when this transition was part of PMs responsibilities It included activities like:

• Train the support team and provide all required documentation;
  • Communicate with accounting and finance team;
  • Communicate with the legal team and verify that product is compliant and all documentation is updated;
  • Communicate with the sales team (if a new product is part of the sales process);
  • Communicate with IT and Data security teams to verify that new product won’t affect current infrastructure and the IT team is aware of data the new product collects;
  • Prepare metrics and setup data analytics/tracking systems and update dashboards.

There are just from the top of my mind. I am sure in different organizations there are more processes similar to what I described.

Hope it helps :wink:

1 Like

@Sergey_Tozik, I think the transition you mentioned mostly happens when you work for a digital agency.

I believe when PMs work on a product one of the most important topics is getting the feedback from users as much as possible.
This is why there are concepts like user-interviews, prototypes, MVP. It helps to get feedback on the earlier stage of the product development process.

1 Like

It seems that during the transition the PM’s role is to disseminate imformation about the product from the development to multiple professionals, so they can make changes is their work.

The actual work with the customers/users base falls on all other professionals, according to their responsibilities, but PMs rarely work with customers/users directly during the transition.

Am I right?

In your experience, who is responsible for the actual work with the users? For whom is the transition most painful?

Why is digital agency so special, when the transition is the issue?

It seems that during the transition the PM’s role is to disseminate imformation about the product from the development to multiple professionals, so they can make changes is their work.

Correct. I would say most often it will add a new product/service in their workflow.

The actual work with the customers/users base falls on all other professionals, according to their responsibilities, but PMs rarely work with customers/users directly during the transition.

In my experience, this is the most common case. Sometimes PM could participate in sales/support processed to help in the transition and get feedback from customers.

In your experience, who is responsible for the actual work with the users? For whom is the transition most painful?

It depends on the product. I worked in an online service company. The most painful transition was for the Customer Support team. They can’t scale their performance instantly.

What do Customer Support actually experience? What are the sources of their pain?